Congratulations on joining us at Mohawk College! All Support Staff are part of OPSEU Local 241, including student employees.
The strength of our local comes from you and our fellow members. Our members can
- Vote on proposals and elect Local Executive team members at General Membership Meetings
- Attend conferences and educational programs, with expenses reimbursed and child care offered
- Take advantage of OPSEU discount programs for insurance, Bell Mobility, VIA Rail, and popular attractions
Step 1: Become a Member. Sign your Membership Card!
All Support Staff are covered by a collective agreement but OPSEU membership is not automatic. There is no cost to become a member. Even if you do not wish to partake in union activities, signing your card is important.
Signing your card offers member-only benefits:
- It makes you a Member in Good Standing and entitles you to the services of OPSEU and Local 241
- It increases the amount of funding our Local receives to support our operations
- It makes you eligible for strike pay in the event of a labour interruption or strike
- It gives you access to OPSEU's member discount programs (new window)
Step 2: Get your Collective Agreement
The Collective Agreement is a joint contract between OPSEU and the Ontario Colleges that details our rights and entitlements. Everything from leaves of absence, vacation days, rates of pay, dispute resolution, and more. It's a valuable and powerful source of information.
- Find your agreement: Which Collective Agreement applies to me?
Step 3: Attend a General Membership Meeting
Attending a General Membership Meeting is the easiest way to take part in the union and get to know fellow members, stewards, and officers.
At GMMs, our members discuss and vote on matters of our Local and get informed on recent news. Members are always encouraged to bring issues and proposals forward to a Steward that may be discussed at a GMM.
We do our best to advertise upcoming GMMs to reach as many members as possible