Congratulations on joining us at Mohawk College! All Support Staff are part of OPSEU Local 241, including student employees.
Step 1: Become a Member. Sign your Membership Card!
Fill out your membership form online. You will receive access to the OPSEU Member Portal, and a membership card will be mailed to you in 4-8 weeks.
All Support Staff are bound by a collective agreement, but OPSEU membership is not automatic. There is no cost to becoming a member.
Signing your card offers member-only benefits:
- It makes you a Member in Good Standing and entitles you to OPSEU and Local 241's support.
- It makes you eligible to vote on proposals and in elections for Local Executive team members at General Membership Meetings.
- It increases the amount of funding our Local receives to support our operations.
- It makes you eligible for strike pay in case of a labour interruption or strike.
- It gives you access to OPSEU's member discount programs (new window).
- You can attend conferences and educational programs, with expenses paid and child care offered.
Step 2: Get your Collective Agreement and know your rights
A Collective Agreement is a joint contract between OPSEU and the Ontario Colleges that details our rights and entitlements. Everything from leaves of absence, vacation days, pay rates, dispute resolution, and more. It's a valuable and powerful source of information.
- Find your agreement: Which Collective Agreement applies to me?
Contact us if you have questions about your collective agreement.
Step 3: Attend a General Membership Meeting
Attending a General Membership Meeting is the easiest way to participate in the union with fellow workers.
At GMMs, our members discuss and vote on matters of our Local and get informed on recent news. Members are always encouraged to bring issues and proposals to a Steward that may be discussed at a GMM.
We do our best to advertise upcoming GMMs to reach as many members as possible.