The day-to-day business of the local is performed entirely by volunteer members with different positions and responsibilities.
Stewards are extremely valuable to every union! Any member in good standing, full-time or part-time, can volunteer to be a Steward:
- Help provide guidance and inform members in their areas.
- Provide the Local with valuable insight into their area's working conditions and highlight possible areas of concern.
- Meet with all stewards and officers monthly at a Local Executive Committee meeting.
Every area is unique! The more stewards we have, the better we can address problems early and keep our members engaged.
Being a steward offers new opportunities like
- Becoming an Officer of the local in our elections (every two years)
- Attending OPSEU training events and conferences, all expenses paid
- Join a higher-level committee in our OPSEU sector (CAAT-S)
Stewards become Officers by being elected into their position at a general membership meeting every two years. Any steward can be nominated for any officer position.
Local 241's current officer roles are:
- Communications Officer
- Full-Time Unit Steward
- Part-Time Unit Steward