Short-term disability days (AKA sick days) are administered by the College and are defined through the CAAT benefits plan for full-time support staff.
In the benefits booklet, short-term disability is covered in section 13.
- Download the full-time support benefits booklet from the College Employer Council (PDF)
- Download the full-time at-a-glance reference sheet (PDF)
How many short-term disability days do I get?
Note for new hires: Your short-term disability days will be prorated for the first benefit year. Check with your department's Compensation and Benefits Consultant for information on your entitlement.
The benefits plan year starts on September 1st. At the beginning of a new plan year, you are entitled to a total of 130 short-term disability (STD) days.
- For the first 10 days, you will be paid 100% of your regular base earning
- For the remaining 120 days, you will be paid 75% of your regular base earnings
Do my unused short-term disability days carry over or accumulate?
Yes. If you do not use all ten of your 100% paid STD days, the remainder will be carried forward into the next benefits year on September 1st. Note that STD days can't be used for any other purpose and are not paid out if you leave the college.
What is the maximum number of 100% and 75% paid days I can accumulate?
You cannot exceed 130 short-term disability days.
- Out of the 130-day total, you can accumulate a maximum of 120 at 100% pay
- The remainder that makes up the 130-day total will be paid at 75%
Example: In a new benefit year, you have accumulated 50 100% paid days.
- (130 maximum days) - (50 100% paid days) = 80 day remainder paid at 75%
How do I check how many short-term disability days I have?
Go to MyMohawk and access your Employee Profile to check your leave balances.
I have questions about short-term disability days
Contact your department's Compensation and Benefits Consultant for any questions related to short-term disability or the CAAT benefits plan.